Complaints about Court Judiciary

What do I do if I have a complaint?

Complaints against Court Judiciary 

The Lord President made rules for the investigation and determination of any matters concerning the conduct of judicial office holders: Complaints About the Judiciary (Scotland) Rules 2017. 

The Judicial Office for Scotland will consider any complaint about the personal conduct of judicial office holders, but cannot deal with complaints about judicial decisions or the way in which cases have been handled.  The usual way to challenge a decision is to appeal.  If you are considering appealing a judicial decision, we would recommend that you obtain legal advice.  You can obtain such advice from a solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you wish to complain about the personal conduct of a judicial office holder whether inside or outside of the court, you should write to:

Judicial Office for Scotland
Parliament House
or email:

The rules and guidance above provide more detail, but you should note that your complaint must be in writing and clearly state:

  • your name and address;
  • the name of the judge, or sufficient information to enable the judge to be identified;
  • where appropriate, the court, and the date of the hearing; and
  • specific details about the grounds of your complaint.

You must include copies of all the documents that you have that you are relying on to support your complaint.

Your complaint should be made as soon as possible and, in any event, no later than 3 months after the incident that you wish to complain about. If your case or appeal is on-going, your complaint may not be considered until your case has concluded but you should still make your complaint in time. The time limit for making a complaint may be extended only in exceptional circumstances.

Read the privacy notice for information about how we handle personal data.

Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service complaints

If you have a complaint regarding the service provided by the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service or a member of its staff or your complaint relates to your role as a juror please visit this page and follow the relevant links.

Complaints about solicitors or advocates

All complaints against legal practitioners should be sent to the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (SLCC).  They act as a gateway or single point of contact and will advise you on what you need to do.  For further information visit the Scottish Legal Complaints website.  


Tuesday, 13 January, 2015
Sentencing Statements

At Paisley Sheriff Court on 13 January 2015, Sheriff Susan Sinclair sentenced Derek Mitchell to a community payback order and imposed a non-harassment order after the accused was convicted of assault and breach of the peace.

Find out more


Monday, 12 January, 2015
Sentencing Statements

At the High Court in Glasgow on 12 January 2015, Lord Turnbull imposed an extended sentence of 14 years imprisonment on Mariusz Cieslar after the accused pled guilty to two charges of assault with intent to rape.

Find out more


Friday, 9 January, 2015
Sentencing Statements

At the High Court in Glasgow on 9 January 2015, Lady Scott sentenced Jamie Wishart to 10 years imprisonment after the accused was convicted of the culpable homicide of Connor Cleave.

Find out more


Thursday, 8 January, 2015
Sentencing Statements

At the Court of Session on 8 January 2015, Lord Doherty sentenced Paul Mackenzie to 10 months imprisonment following a petition and complaint by Mackenzie Hall Ltd & PRA UK Holding PTY Limited in respect of his breach of interim interdict and breach of interdict.

Find out more


Monday, 22 December, 2014
Sentencing Statements

At the High Court in Glasgow on 22 December 2014, Judge John Beckett QC sentenced Ian Thomson to 13 years and six months imprisonment and imposed an Order for Lifelong Restriction after the accused was convicted of raping six women.

Find out more